Way back in 1837 a priest by the name of Father Looney decided to build a church and a school for the people of Killorglin on the present day site of the Church. Back in 1837 the church looked much different than the present day day structure. Father Looney decided to make his church in the style of a crucifix (a Catholic cross). At the time he could only use locally sourced materials – a thatched roof and a mud floor and needless to say after several Irish Winters this church fell into bad disrepair. It took over 50 years for the present day day Church to be build. In 1887 the Killorglin Parish Committee and Father Lawlor supervised the building of what you see today. It took 2 years and 10 months to finish and is indeed an excellent example of Gothic Architecture of the time. Here are some interesting facts about the construction – sandstone for the building was transported from Castlemaine by the newly opened railway line. Limestone was also used and this was mined locally from a place called Steelore. The Altar came all the way from Sicily in Italy and visitors to Killorglin should take the time to go into the church and see this wonderful sight.